What is dandruff?
Dandruff is a scalp condition that causes flaky skin to appear on the scalp. This isn’t a severe condition. But this is an unpleasant condition which can cause embarrassment.
The root cause for dandruff will always be the same. Some of the other factors that can make it even aggravate are;
- Dry skin
- Heat and dry air
- Air pollution
- Brushing your hair irregularly
- Not shampooing enough
- Irritated and oily skin
- Unbalanced diet
- Using various kinds of shampoos (Alkaline shampoos)
Some of its symptoms are;
- Having an itchy scalp.
- Having flakes on your scalp, hair, eyebrows, beard/ moustache, and shoulders
- Feel of a dry and tight scalp
Treatment and Prevention:
- Dandruff can be managed with a proper care. Usage of non-medicated shampoos
- Massaging the scalp firmly after shampooing and rinsing off well
- Shampoo on regular basis. Maybe you can shampoo 3-4 times a week, this helps in removing flakes and oiliness
- Applying olive oil to the scalp
- Using tea tree oil to unclog hair follicles and nourish the roots of the hair.
‘Ask Gogodoc About’ is an educational series providing information on various symptoms, pains, and disorders. (*intended for educational purposes only. If you are experiencing symptoms, please reach out to book an online GP consultation with a Gogodoc GP.) Talk to a doctor online at a time that suits you from home with a phone or video appointment. You can easily book an appointment with GP.