Uses of Iron Status Profile;
- To evaluate your body’s current level of iron.
- To help diagnose iron deficiency or iron overload.
- Iron tests evaluate the amount of iron in the body by measuring several substances in the blood.
Need to get tested, if you have;
Symptoms of low iron:
Symptoms of high iron:
Other related Iron tests;
- Serum iron test—It measures the level of iron in the liquid portion of the blood.
- Transferrin test— It directly measures the level of transferrin in the blood. Transferrin is the protein that transports iron around in the body.
- TIBC (total iron-binding capacity)—It measures the total amount of iron that can be bound by proteins in the blood.
- UIBC (unsaturated iron-binding capacity)—The UIBC test determines the reserve capacity of transferrin, i.e., the portion of transferrin that has not yet been saturated with iron. UIBC also reflects transferrin levels.
- Transferrin saturation— a calculation that reflects the percentage of transferrin that is saturated with iron (100 x serum iron/TIBC).
- Serum ferritin— It reflects the amount of stored iron in the body.
- Absorbing too much iron over time can lead to the progressive buildup of iron compounds in organs and may eventually cause their dysfunction and failure.
‘Ask Gogodoc About’ is an educational series providing information on various symptoms, pains, and disorders. (*intended for educational purposes only. If you are experiencing symptoms, please reach out to book an online GP consultation with a Gogodoc GP.) Talk to a doctor online at a time that suits you from home with a phone or video appointment. You can easily book an appointment with GP.
Book a video consultation today! and get expert advice.