Coughing is a typical reflex activity that frees a person’s throat from bodily fluid. There are several circumstances that cause more regular Coughing.
Acute Cough is a cough that lasts for less than 3 weeks and a Subacute Cough is a cough that lasts between 3 to 8 weeks. If a cough precedes for more than 8 weeks it’s called a chronic cough.
Causes for a cough
Cough can be caused due to temporary or permanent conditions. Some of them are identified as follows.
- Clearing the throat
This is a standard way of clearing a person’s throat when it’s blocked with bodily fluid or unfamiliar particles. For example: dust and smoke.
- Infections like bronchitis
- Allergies such as hay fever
- Acid reflux (heart burn)
Treatments for cough
Treatments are done in various ways depending on the cause. These are some simple home treatments that could be done to prevent Coughing.
- Prevent smoking and dust.
- Always stay hydrated
- Use more pillows while sleeping.
- Wash the throat every morning with warm salt water to get rid of mucus or bodily fluid.
- Adding ginger or honey to tea will prevent blocking the throat with mucus and other unfamiliar particles.
- Using cough drops and decongestant sprays prevents coughing.
Gogodoc also provides an educational series of information on various blood tests (*intended for educational purposes only. If you are experiencing symptoms, please reach out to book an online GP consultation with a Gogodoc GP.) Talk to a doctor online at a time that suits you from home with a phone or video appointment. You can easily book an appointment with GP.
Book a consultation today, and get expert advice!