This is used to measure the rate of bone turnover, thus providing useful information about factors that might affect bone strength. Bone markers can be useful in detecting the imbalance and bone loss.
- To help evaluate and monitor the rate of bone resorption and formation
- To monitor some metabolic bone diseases such as osteoporosis
- To help detect metabolic bone disorders such as Paget disease
Need to get tested, if;
- Bone mineral density scan indicates reduced bone density.
- During treatment for bone loss to evaluate effectiveness.
- To decide if the rate of loss has decreased or the rate of bone formation has increased.
The test is done by drawing a blood sample from a vein in your arm or sometimes from a urine sample.
Causes of Bone loss:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Cushing disease
- Chronic kidney disease
- Multiple myeloma
- Prolonged usage of drugs such as anti-epileptics, glucocorticoids, or lithium.
Gogodoc also provides an educational series of information on various blood tests (*intended for educational purposes only. If you are experiencing symptoms, please reach out to book an online GP consultation with a Gogodoc GP.) Talk to a doctor online at a time that suits you from home with a phone or video appointment. You can easily book an appointment with GP.
Book a video consultation today! and get expert advice.