Discography is an insightful technique which is performed to attempt to recognize the zones in the spine that are causing the most agony. This is additionally gotten back to torment examinations.
A discogram isn’t a treatment or remedy for your back torment; anyway, the test may enable your primary care physician to decide the most appropriate type of treatment or relief from discomfort for you.
- The assessment will be performed by a radiologist (a specific x-beam specialist) who might be helped by a radiographer and radiology nurture.
- The system itself may take as long as 60 minutes.
How it is performed?
You will be asked to set down on your left side or your front on the Xray table.
- Under fluoroscopy control, the radiologist will find the vertebral plate/s to be analyzed. The radiologist may stamp the region to be explored on your back with a marker pen
- This is a sterile technique and the radiologist will wear sterile gloves. Your skin will be cleaned with cold germicide fluid and sterile towels will be put over you.
- Local sedative will be infused into the skin to numb the zone before the spinal needle is embedded into the center of the circle. You may feel some distress now however it will pass rapidly.
- Contrast medium (a dreary liquid that shows on x-beam pictures) will be infused through the spinal needle into the circle. Infusing the liquid into the circle will build the weight inside the plate.
- If the plate is harmed, the expansion of weight following the infusion of the different medium will imitate your back agony
- If your torment is imitated, you will be approached to appraise its power on a size of 0 – 10.
Risks of the method
It is conceivable that you may have a hypersensitive response from the difference operator utilized. You will be gotten some information about hypersensitivities by the radiologist or radiographer at that point.
- There is an exceptionally little danger of contamination being presented during this methodology.
- There is a little danger of seeping from having a needle embedded into your spine.
- Your back agony might be duplicated and this may take a day or two to settle down once more
- X-beams are a sort of radiation. We are presented to regular foundation radiation the entire carries on with; this originates from the sun, food we eat, and the ground. Presentation to X-beams conveys a little danger, however, your PCP feels that this danger is exceeded by the advantages of having the test. We will take all protections to limit the measure of X-beams you get.
After your assessment
- You will be reclaimed to the ward where you will sit up in bed for 3 – 4 hours bed rest
- Do not drive for 24 hours after the system
- You should rest for the following day or two as the test may trigger off your standard back agony Patient Information Discogram (Discography)
- If you have any issues after the assessment please observe your GP
‘Ask Gogodoc About’ is an educational series providing information on various symptoms, pains, and disorders. (*intended for educational purposes only. If you are experiencing symptoms, please reach out to book an online GP consultation with a Gogodoc GP.) Talk to a doctor online at a time that suits you from home with a phone or video appointment. You can easily book an appointment with GP.
Book a video consultation today! and get expert advice.